Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Pink Toenails & Scones...

Title scare you a little? Yeah...those two probably should never be in the same sentence again...but I couldn't resist :)

The other morning I went over to my parents' house and made scones. I was unsure of how they would turn out, but I seemed to even surprise myself with these tasty treats! First I found a basic scone recipe from AllRecipes.com (my favorite site for cooking & baking recipes). I found a couple that looked yummy, but couldn't decide on which recipe to follow. Finally I made a decision (woo hoo!..if you know me this was obviously quite a process...the hardest step was actually making a decision on which recipe to use). Anywho-I had 3 different recipe screens open on the computer and once I had picked the winner I started baking away. Come to find out later that I had actually used a completely different recipe than that which I had chosen. HA! That's what I get for being so darn indecisive I guess. However, these turned out great! I added some dried cranberries, orange juice, and orange zest (the orange I forgot to buy at the store that morning so I pulled over and picked one off of our neighbors tree...shhhh...don't tell) (: They came out of the oven and were quickly picked off one by one. Even laney bug liked them! Success!

Here's the recipe for any of you that want to venture and make your own!

3 Cups all-purpose flour
1/2 Cup white sugar
5 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 Cup butter
1 egg, beaten
1 Cup milk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
  1. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter. (or you could pour it all into a food processor)
  2. Beat the egg, put in measuring cup, then add milk so that the total of both is 1 cup (this is a variation I found that makes the dough not be too wet). Stir into flour mixture until moistened.
  3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead briefly. Roll dough out into a 1/2 inch thick round. Cut into 8 wedges, and place on the prepared baking sheet. (I separated dough into 2 sections then rolled out and cut..makes smaller scones that are easier to eat).
  4. Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.
Feel free to add in whatever you want! Some variations I found were Cranberry Orange, Lemon Blueberry, Chocolate Chip or anything else you can think of that would be tasty :)

...oh ya...the toenails. Aren't these the cutest little pink toenails you have ever seen?


I painted Delaney's little toes right before they moved (ya, I'll blog about that one later-I'm still in denial about it..) She LOVED them-every time someone new would walk into the house she would lift up her feet so they could see her toes. hehe. :)

2 comments:

  1. Yum! And I think that you can put just about anything in a blog title and get away with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cutest toes I've EVER seen!

    About those scones, let me know if you ever try a coconut/almond version!

    ReplyDelete